Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chicken Feed

Our local newspaper recently ran an article about the proliferation of people wearing stupid costumes and holding signs to help promote businesses. The business owners swore by it... they all saw increased traffic and sales in their stores. But here's the kicker, some (but not all) of the costumed hawkers were being paid $12 per hour for their service. Granted, it can get warm inside those polyester getups, and standing on your feet for 8 hours isn't for someone with deep-veined thrombosis, but at $12, that's almost $5 more per hour than a tech with computer certification makes at Pencils. I read a comment on this blog from another Pencils associate who posed the question, "If employees were paid a decent wage, would they do a better job?" My answer is emphatically YES! $7.50 an hour, I couldn't give a shit. $12 per hour, I'll show some interest. Next time your computer crashes, ask a guy in a chicken suit to fix it, you may be better off.

5 comments:

  1. i seriously hate my job. i make 8.03 after my awesome raise... FML actually, FMJ. Year and a half of my life is wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an associate making $7.70 an hour with A+ certification and halfway through school getting a degree in computer science. Needless to say he longer works with us but went to Best Buy and now gets paid "much more."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously can't wait to get out of pencils and get a real IT job. I also have an A+ certification and am halfway thru school getting a degree in computer science. Problem is most jobs now want people with networking experience and you get none working as a certified Easy Technician at pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently they have a way of suckering CS majors in. I too and half way through my degree and the pay I get at pencils is pitiful.

    ReplyDelete